If you have questions about any Tripp Lite product or service, please contact us. We're always glad to help!
Monitor Mount Buying Guide
Mount and Optimize Viewing Angles for TVs and Monitors
This buying guide will help you:
- Understand what a monitor mount is and recognize key features
- Learn important questions to ask before selecting a monitor mount
- Find the right sized mount for your TV or monitor
- Compare the different types of monitor mounts available
- Choose a monitor mount
Monitor Mount Basics
What is a monitor mount?
Monitor mounts are a popular device for mounting flat-panel TVs and computer monitors on walls, desks and ceilings for optimal viewing. They are ideal for home office and entertainment systems, classrooms, boardrooms, hotels, bars and restaurants.
Why do I need a monitor mount?
Now that high-definition flat-screen TVs and monitors are the norm, the demand to mount them on walls, desks and ceilings has become popular. Monitor mounts allow you to mount multiple displays and provide the best viewing angles for work or entertainment, and select models come with security features to deter theft.
Where are monitor mounts used?
- Home/office workstations
- Conference rooms
- Healthcare facilities
- Retail environments
- Point-of-purchase areas
- Information kiosks
- Security stations
- Instructional settings
- Production studios
- Home theaters
- Bars and Restaurants
- Entertainment Venues
Are monitor mounts hard to install?
No. Monitor mounts include the hardware to successfully install them on desks, walls and ceilings. Wall mounts require that you have a power drill, hammer and screwdriver, while desktop mounts are easily installed with the included wrench.
Top 4 Monitor Mount Features
1. Placement options
Mounts are available for permanent installation on walls, desks and ceilings. Rolling monitor carts are also available for temporary, flexible placement.
2. Convenient installation
Monitor mounts include all of the necessary hardware for easy installation.
3. A variety of viewing options
Choose from tilt, swivel or half/full display rotation mounts to optimize viewing angles, minimize glare and improve comfort.
4. Size and weight options
Monitor mounts are available in a variety of configurations to accommodate displays up to 105 inches and up to 350 lbs.
How to Choose a Monitor Mount: Key Questions to Ask
When selecting a monitor mount, there are a few questions that need to be answered.
- Where is your mounting location?
Monitor mounts can typically be mounted on a wall, ceiling or desk as well as outdoor locations.
- What is your mounting surface?
Monitor mounts include all of the hardware required and most come fully assembled for easy installation on walls, desks or ceilings. Depending on the mount, the included hardware supports mounting with timber or masonry construction, including wooden studs, cinder blocks, bricks and concrete.
- How many displays do you want to mount?
Monitor mounts are available for a single display up to four displays.
- What is a VESA pattern?
In order to use any stand or mount that was not included with your monitor, it needs to be VESA compatible. That means having standard mounting holes allowing for any compatible display to be properly mounted. A VESA pattern typically is molded into the back of the display. Many smaller, cheaper or thinner monitors may not be VESA-compatible and will only work with the custom stands that came from the manufacturer. Make sure your mount’s VESA mounting hole patterns conform with those of your display.
- What is the maximum weight necessary to mount your TV or monitor?
Be sure the monitor mount safely and securely supports the weight of your display. Again, reference the specifications to make sure the monitor mount will support the weight of your display.
- What kind of viewing adjustments do you need?
Decide if you need to tilt, swivel or rotate your display. Monitor mounts can adjust to optimize viewing angles, minimize glare, improve comfort and reduce fatigue.
- Do you have enough clearance to mount your display?
Wall-mounts require enough top clearance to attach the display mounting plate to the mount. Full-motion mounts require enough space for full movement of the arm.
Other Features to Consider
If the display is located in a public area with unguarded traffic, such as a library, classroom or hotel lobby, securing a monitor it essential. Consider a mount that comes with a solid steel security bar that slides through the mounting brackets and is secured into place with an included four-position combination lock.
Outdoor monitor mounts are ideal for not only digital signage, but also decks, balconies, patios, swimming pools and anywhere else people watch a television set or monitor outdoors. The weatherproof steel frame, high-grade powder-coated finish, stainless steel hardware and wall plate covers are specifically designed to withstand the stress of repeated adjustments and outdoor use.
These risers provide flexibility in placing a monitor on a desktop for maximum comfort. Lifting your monitor frees up valuable space on your desk, table or counter at home, school or office.
Rolling TV/Monitor Carts
Rolling monitor carts offer flexible screen placement in rooms where installing a display mount on a wall is not possible or desirable. You have the ability to move the cart from room-to-room or locate to other rooms.
Monitor Mount Comparison Charts
|Fixed Wall-Mount||Display Ceiling Mount||Desktop Desk Mount|
|Tilt Wall-Mount||Projector Ceiling Mount||Desk Clamp Desk Mount|
|Full Motion Wall-Mount|
Wall-Mounts - Free floor space and increase available desk/table space in office applications.
|Tilt Adjustment||--||Up to -15° to +15°||-15° to +15°|
|Swivel Adjustment||--||--||Up to -180°|
|Screen Level Adjustment||--||--||Up to -5° to +5°|
|For Display Size||13 to 100 in.||13 to 100 in.||13 to 100 in.|
|Max. Display Weight||up to 350 lb.||up to 350 lb.||up to 300 lb.|
|Mounting Hardware (for wood and masonry construction)||Included||Included||Included|
Ceiling Mounts - Free up wall and floor space in digital signage applications.
|for Displays||for Projectors|
|Display Size||10 to 37 in.||--|
|Max. Weight Capacity||80 lb.||55 lb.|
|Mounting Hardware (for wood and masonry construction)||Included||Included|
Desk Mounts - Maximize desk/table space and offer easy one-touch adjustment for varied tasks.
|Tilt Adjustment||up to 30°||up to -80° to +90° (or flex arm)|
|Swivel Adjustment||180°||180° (or flex arm)|
|For Display Size||10 to 32 in.||13 to 27 in.|
|For Laptop Size (select model)||--||up to 15 in.|
|For Tablet/Smartphone Size (select model)||--||3.5 to 10 in.|
|For Display Weight (per display)||up to 36 lb.||up to 22 lb.|
|Max. Laptop Weight||--||11 lb.|
|Max. Tablet Weight||--||2.2 lb.|
|Mounting Hardware (for wood and masonry construction)||Included||Included|
Choose a Monitor Mount
Why Buy from Tripp Lite?
We know you have many brands to choose from. On the surface, they may all seem alike. It's what you don't see that makes the difference. With Tripp Lite, you get solid engineering, proven reliability and exceptional customer service. All our products undergo rigorous quality control before they are offered for sale, and independent testing agencies verify our products meet or exceed the latest safety and performance standards. Our commitment to quality allows us to back our products with industry-leading warranties and responsive customer service. It's the Tripp Lite difference.
Monitor Mount Glossary of Terms
- Ceiling Mount
- Ceiling monitor mounts suspend a flat-panel television, computer monitor or other display from the ceiling, which saves valuable wall, floor and desk space. They are ideal for home theaters, classrooms, boardrooms, hotels, bars and restaurants.
- Degrees of Motion
- The degree at which a monitor mount can swivel, tile or rotate to provide an optimal viewing experience.
- Desk Mount
- Desk monitor mounts are ideal for home/office workstations and support the mounting of multiple displays with a variety of sizes swivel options for the best viewing experience.
- Maximum Weight Capacity
- The heaviest monitor weight a mount can safely hold. Select Tripp Lite mounts have maximum weight capacities up to 350 lbs.
- Minimum and Maximum Screen Size
- The ability of a monitor mount to accommodate a screen size from a minimum of 3.5 inches to 105 inches.
- Monitor Mount
- Flat-panel TV and computer monitor mounts are popular devices for mounting displays on walls, desks and ceilings for optimal viewing. They are ideal for home office and entertainment systems, classrooms, boardrooms, hotels, bars and restaurants.
- Monitor Riser
- Monitor risers provide flexibility in placing a monitor on a desktop for maximum comfort. Lifting a monitor frees up valuable space on a desk, table or counter at home, school or office.
- Outdoor Mount
- Outdoor monitor mounts are designed for not only digital signage, but also decks, balconies, patios, swimming pools and anywhere else people watch a television set or monitor outdoors. The weatherproof steel frame, high-grade powder-coated finish, stainless steel hardware and wall plate covers are specifically designed to withstand the stress of repeated adjustments and outdoor use.
- Rolling TV/Monitor Cart
- Rolling monitor carts offer flexible screen placement in rooms where installing a display mount on a wall is not possible or desirable, and provide the ability to move the cart from room-to-room or locate to other rooms.
- Scratch-Resistant Finish
- Scratch-resistant powder-coated finish on monitor mounts tolerate frequent handling and blend with any décor.
- Security Bar
- A monitor mount that comes with a solid steel security bar that slides through the mounting brackets and is secured into place with an included four-position combination lock.
- UL compliance means that UL (Underwriters Laboratories) has tested representative samples of a product and determined that the product meets specific, defined requirements based on the product. These requirements are often based on UL's published and nationally recognized standards for safety.
- VESA Pattern
- The VESA interface standard defines the distance in millimeters between the four mounting holes on the back of a TV or monitor (distance horizontally x distance vertically). VESA is a standard used for TV/monitor mounts and wall mounting systems, adapted by most brands.
- Wall Mount
- Wall-mount monitor mounts are designed to mount a TV or monitor on drywall, plaster, concrete and wood walls for optimal viewing.